12-Jun-2015.By: ELSIE Osho
How do you feel if after a stress filled day at work you return home to rest, on entering your house you find litters scattered all over the place (inside & outside) in the compound? Happy, right? Well, any sane person will feel infuriated especially when he or she painstakingly took out time to clean up the whole place before heading out. Now let’s replace this scenario with our everyday roads, highway, street, walkways. There are people who are paid and so responsible for keeping our roads clean and as you know this is not an easy task. There are also others who delight in keeping the roads tidy and won’t drop even a pin on the ground. There are also others who are not comfortable with having a place kept tidy. They drop waste on the road, out of their vehicles, public transport, or as they walk by the road.
Keeping our environment in tip-top shape is our direct responsibility. We don’t wait for anybody to keep our homes clean, neither will we purposely misuse our homes, thereby leaving them untidy, mismanaged and greatly damaged. Why would we then do the opposite to our local streets, walkways and environment at large? Let’s make it a point of duty and take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth. 5th of June’s World Environment Day celebration buttresses the need to take our environment more seriously because it is the only place we can live in.
This year’s World Environment Day theme is “Sustainable Consumption and Production”. The slogan for the theme is "Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care”. Tapping into this theme, the way we treat our environment affects the very way we feed and this affects every one of us. Keeping our environment clean is a very important part of our lives, especially with the ever increasing use of technology and industries flourishing. The amount of pollution in our environment is increasing at a rapid pace. It is important to focus on this as we ensure the environment is preserved for future generations. Water pollution and litter are considered to be two of the main cause of the environment being dirty.
* These 3Rs are considered to be the most important and easiest way to keep our environment clean and refrain it from pollution. Reduce, Recycle and Reuse. By reducing the usage of harmful materials, and recycling items such as paper and glass and at the same time reusing goods that can be reused will reduce the pollution levels in the air and keep the environment clean.
* Planting more trees increase the oxygen level in the atmosphere. This way there is an increase in the total oxygen level thus resulting in cleaner air to breathe and keeping environment clean.
* Many people tend to litter. This is a bad habit as littering causes a rapid increase in pollution levels. Instead of throwing garbage on the roads, there should be recycling bins on every corner of the road so that people do not litter. This will help in keeping the environment clean.
* Cigarettes are another harmful item that increases the air pollution as well as the well-known health benefits.
* By using ecofriendly and biodegradable cleaning items the environment will be a better and cleaner place for humans to live in and by the continuous use of these products the environment will improve for future generation.
Even in our homes keeping our environment clean is such a great tool to bring joy to our lives. Grant Cook; a personal trainer in Perkesie during one of his teachings on environments said “First the dirty world. You first get stirred up every time you can’t find something and the litter creates a clutter mind, bringing anxiety and stress into your life. The right way, cleanliness helps you by allowing you to focus on your task, it may even bring a smile to your face when you clean up”.
Likewise, remember the rules of positive accumulation and do a little bit of cleaning each day, it adds up. I leave you with this quote by Louise Slaughter "Let's clean up our environment. Let's clean up our bodies, but most importantly, let's not permit our babies of the future to be polluted before they are even born". Let’s start now, it’s never too late.
Last Updated: 30-Jun-2016 07:39 PM
Copyright 2014 Fidson Healthcare Plc